Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Meal Planning

As much as I consider making meal after meal and going shopping and then going shopping again such a chore and sometimes in the way of other things I want to do, there are seasons where this part of being mom is actually enjoyable. I love to read recipes in my books, my grandmas cookbooks and my mother-in-laws cookbooks.


This is my favorite cookbook right now - Six Ingredients or Less by Carlean Johnson. My Aunt Connie gave it to me last Thanksgiving and most everything I have made has been easy and yummy. Nate (14 year old) wanted to make dinner the other night and looked through this book. It only required going to the market to get two extra items and he was able to make Panko Chicken Dijon. He did a great job and it tasted awesome.


Over the years I have subscribed to Rachel Ray mag, Cooking Light and others. I usually pick 2 or 3 new recipes to try and then fill in the rest of the week with your standards, i.e. Thursday Spaghetti Night, tacos, BLT's, pizza (on our date nites), salad night (when I make a special dessert :) ) If I have not looked through recipes due to a crazy week - Trader Joe's never fails to inspire me. Just running through that store is fun and provides lots of quick meal ideas that really taste great.

This week I found Bria going through her kids cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cook Book - for the Hostess of Tomorrow) and making trying to make her list.... aah the meal planner of tomorrow - what a sweetie :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

that is so cute that bria did that!!! that cookbook sounds good - i want to see it!

Natasha said...

That cookbook sounds perfect. I love simple easy meals. I'll have to check it out when I am at the bookstore. I love to collect cooking magazines and cookbooks, but I need to actually cook more often!!

My First Kitchen said...

That's so great! It's so exciting to see kids involved in making meals for the family. LOVE that!