Thursday, September 11, 2008

My 9/11

You know how as a kid really getting Amercian History for the first time - makes you think about what it must have been like for your parents the day JFK was shot, or for your grandparents when the strike at Pearl Harbor was announced? I want to share for my family's little history book/blog - what was going on with us on 9/11/2001 - 7 years ago today.

I wish I had a picture of what we all looked like around this time. Nate was 7, Matt 2 and Bria 3 months. I think I do - but it is a print and I may just have to add it later. I know I have tons of pictures of Bria, since she was the new baby girl. It was such a busy time as we had just moved into our home in May and then I had Bria right away, so even three months later, some rooms had boxes to be unpacked.

A few days after Labor Day, Brian woke up feeling numbness down his right arm. He has neck and back injuries from multiple car accidents as a teen, and so he thought it might have something to do with his neck being "out" and would need to go to a chiropractor.

Move ahead a few days later - to Monday, September 10, 2001. Brian works in West Hollywood at a small Christian record lable. This is about a 2 to 3 hour commute (one way) everyday. He woke up before me and drove to work as usual. I knew he was not feeling right about the numbing in his arm, as it had begun to move down to his hand on Sunday night. I went about my day with a homeschooled 3rd grader, toddler and infant at home. I remember we just got a new neighbor, a single mom with a teenage daughter and I wanted to make cookies and introduce myself. I remember this because first of all, she turned out to be a great friend to our family and also because with two kids and an infant, it takes all day to do a simple gesture like this :)

I was praying throughout the day for Brian - not overly concerned, just a slight worry in my heart.

My mom had just left on a business trip to New York city. She worked for my Uncle who had an apartment in New York and they were going to some kind of planning meeting. My mom and dad were getting ready to celebrate their wedding anniversary (Sept. 13) and so my dad planned to fly to New York on Sept. 11 and have a romantic dinner at Tavern on the Green with my mom.

At about 5:30 pm on Sept. 10 I got a call from an emergency room nurse at Inland Valley Hospital (just down the street from my house) saying that they have my husband. By the afternoon at work he had felt numbness on the entire right side of his body , including his tounge. He could not talk, walk or write normally. So, he called his doctor from work and he said you must go to the emergency room right now. Now, I laugh at this because I know our doctor meant the CLOSEST ER, but Brian drove from Hollywood to the nearest hospital to home becuase he knew something was really wrong and did not want me to have to drive a long distance with the kiddos.

He did not call me from work to let me know what was going on. I dont even think we had cell phones. Right after I got the call from the hospital saying that they were testing him and looking specifically for signs of a stroke, I remember calmly taking my cookies out of the oven, holding my baby, writing a note to my neighbor and walking over to her house to introduce myself and give her the cookies. I walked back in the house and just kept taking care of the kids and praying. I remember my heart feeling really heavy - but I did not call anyone. Not my mom, dad, Brian's parents or any friends.

The ER nurse called again before I went to sleep to tell me Brian was fine, he was resting, in a room and would be under-going tests for at least another day. He said I did not need to come right away, but in the morning.

Before I went to sleep that night, Brian's mom called from Texas. She said she was just thinking of us and wanted a recipe that I had made when she was just out for a visit. I said sure, here is the recipe - and by the way.......Brian is in the hospital.....She said she would be praying and wanted me to keep her updated. I am sure she was glad she called for a recipe - what a dumb daughter-in-law to have not called her.

My husband is in the hosptial and my mom is in downtown New York.
This blog is getting a little too long. But, for my sake, being this is the first time I have written this down, I do not want to forget some of the details. I have to go start my day.. so I will continue this story later.


emily said...

What? You have got to be kidding me. Forget about starting your day...finish your story, for the love of your readers! (No pressure, really...I can feel the intensity building. I am nervous to discover what happened. In your own time...)

But seriously, don't wait too long.

Miller Family said...

Wow! I can't believe you just did that to me. You had me, hook , line and sinker! Well I guess I will have to wait for part two!