Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I did not need to know I was good at frying

DSC03525

I don't really fry food. I do eat plenty of fried food. I love beer-battered onion rings at a good old-fashioned diner.

I ran across this recipe and had to try it.

Beer Battered Asparagus with Lemon Herbed Dip

Dip:
1/2 c mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of thyme, rosemary or whatever you have fresh
pinch of salt

* Stir together and chill

Asparagus:
1 c of flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
1 tblspn lemon zest (I used less)
1 c of beer (I used a light beer - whatever brand was the cheapest)
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
Vegie Oil for the frying

* Heat oil until it reaches 375 degrees
Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and zest until combined. Stir in beer and whisk until smooth (it gets a little bubbly)
Dip asparagus in batter to coat. Fry until golden. Transfer to baking sheet lined with paper towels. You can keep them warm in pre-heated 200 degree oven while you fry them all.

It was hit and fun to eat along with our BBQ pork chops. Of course we all started to think of what we could beer batter next time....onions, chicken, zuchini, shrimp... mmmm

For other (probably way more healthy) recipe ideas visit Balancing Beauty and Bedlam today!


3 comments:

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

NO WAY!! I love my fried food...do you see my little comment in my post about how I order a salad and fries. I really do but love onion rings too. I just grew and ate my very first asparagus this week. I don't think I'll get enough from my garden to do this this year ,but as soon as they go on sale, I am trying this. YUM! Thanks for linking in. :)

Anonymous said...

This may be the only way I'll ever eat asparagus. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh...does that sound very yummy!
sandy toe