Monday, November 9, 2009

oh bother!



Sometimes I feel stuck. (Mental obvious note to 40 year old self: Stuck doing the wrong thing is not as good as stuck doing the right thing.)

When school first started I was making it a priority to read and pray first thing in the morning, work with the kids diligently on their school and when they were on their breaks I would get to my list of work calls or spreadsheet edits.


My afternoons were spent picking up my highschooler and once home I made it a point to run/walk for an hour and read a chapter of a fiction book before starting on dinner. Sounds good. Was good. Lasted about two weeks.


Then I began missing the early morning wake up with God time. It was not the first thing to go. It was the run/walk and the fiction book that went first. The working at home and homeschooling thing gets a little smudgy here and there but I am used to that. What happens is that all that did not happen during the day gets pushed to the night. Then there is facebook time killer. The nights get later. Then I am in a hole - too much honey. I sleep it off.


Referring to Bible reading and prayer, John Piper says: “I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over his Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart. We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer.”

The great thing about falling or messing up a well laid plan? You can get back up again. The days I stick to the plan are a gift. They even prepare me for the unexpected.


So, this is me. Getting pulled out of the hole and back on track. No more waking up too late. Less oh bothers.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you for your honesty, gentle nudger AND reminder of His Amazing Grace :)

Michelle DeRusha said...

Thanks for portraying the reality of life so accurately -- it happens to everyone, but it's always nice to hear someone else is struggling with the same things.

Love the Pooh drawing, too!

Stefanie said...

Beautiful and I am sure so many can identify.

emily freeman said...

HA! How relevant is this post?! So much so. Great image here..thanks for sharing it with us.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Excellent post. Thanks for the much needed reminder.

brianna said...

Thank you for the re-focuser! Truly. I needed it. :)

Dawn said...

the best laid plans...
but i love that each day is a new opportunity to get it right! or at least as right as we can manage.

Unknown said...

we can only keep trying . Sometimes I think getting stuck "sticks" the reason for the original intentions deeper.

Beth said...

I feel exactly like you sometimes. One thing goes, then the next, then the next. Seems like no matter how old or young we are, we find plenty of ways to fill our time.... but it is SO refreshing to know that each day is a new day, that tomorrow I can start again, and that there can be less "oh bothers". Love your post!

Katie said...

I SO needed this today. I can relate. Thank you!